Monday, June 18, 2012

Dogear Press Projects: Mother’s Day (& Birthday) Dinner Menu

I’ve always loved art, and when I was younger spent a lot of time drawing (I accumulated an unbelievable number of horse drawings from my elementary school years).  Even my “formal” art experiences have been almost exclusively in drawing courses, with only one introductory painting class.  It’s only been more recently that I realized how much I also love graphic design.  The realization stemmed from my growing love for typography (I could look at different fonts all day…) and also for paper products in general (I can never get enough of letterpress).  I designed the invitations and all of the other paper items for our wedding a few years ago, and I’m hooked!  Since then, I have done some design work for a couple friends’ weddings, and also for myself (30th birthday drink cards, year end updates).  It’s a fun release for me, a sort of therapeutic escape from my science life. 

A friend and co-worker (it’s nice when they can be one and the same!) knew of my graphic design hobby, and asked me if I would design a menu for a Mother’s Day/Happy Birthday dinner she was planning for her mother-in-law.  I jumped at the chance to help out, and this post showcases the final product, as well as some of the early design options.

I was told that the guest of honor preferred classic designs - nothing too “cute", and also liked the color yellow and flowers.  I provided three different menu options, and asked Ruth and her husband which one they liked best for the dinner, which wasn’t necessarily the one they liked best for themselves!  I love the chosen design (I also designed a complementary drink menu), and was also happy with the printing job, which had to be done on very short notice.  Do you have a favorite?




3 comments:

  1. those all are so great! my favorite is also option 3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love them both! You're so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys! Glad you like them.

    ReplyDelete