Sunday, March 18, 2012

Recipe Files: Sunny side up eggs with avocado and salsa on toast

One of the main reasons I look forward to the weekend is the opportunity to cook a hot breakfast.  During the workweek my breakfast usually consists of cereal/oatmeal, Greek yogurt with honey and granola, or fruit.  While all of those options can be satisfying, I can’t deny my love of eggs, pancakes, bacon, hash, etc.  Basically, what I’ve come to think of as “brunch food.”  I like to savor these types of meals, so it’s nice to be able to do so on a lazy Saturday or Sunday.

On this morning, we happened to have a perfect avocado on hand, and in thinking about how to prepare it for breakfast, my mind immediately jumped to a sunny side up egg.  When I was young, I hated undercooked yolks, but now I can’t get enough of them.  I’m pretty sure that a runny egg yolk makes anything better.

Sunny side up egg with avocado and salsa on toast

Egg
Avocado
Salsa (Whatever you like, we are fans of Green Mountain Gringo Salsa.)
Salt (Here I used an Australian pink salt from Williams-Sonoma’s finishing sea salt collection.)
Pepper
Bread (We just had wheat bread, but would have loved this with a good, crusty bread.)

Cook a sunny side up egg.  Place the cooked egg on toasted bread, follow with sliced avocado on top.  Garnish with salt, pepper, and salsa.

This ended up being an incredibly easy and tasty meal - definitely one to file away for the future.  We also each had another piece of toast with butter and marmalade, to satisfy both our sweet and savory cravings!



3 comments:

  1. Yum. I've made something similar before but not sure it looked so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete