Friday, April 20, 2012

Floral Stylings: Scabiosa Stellata (aka Starflower Pincushions)


I was revisiting some of my Philly flower photos, and came across this bouquet, which is still one of my absolute favorites.  I purchased these at Seasons Flowers (211 Arch Street, Philadelphia), which was just around the corner from our place.  Dangerous for me, as the store was always stocked with beautiful cut flowers.

Sadly, I can’t remember the names of all of the components in the bouquet.  The one I can clearly recall is Scabiosa Stellata (this name stayed with me because I thought Scabiosa sounded so ugly).  I was intrigued by the prickly, spherical symmetry of these flowers.

I absolutely love the variegated leaves, and really wish I could remember what they are called (Does anyone know? For some reason I think the name has the word “snow” in it, or something wintry in feel.).  I actually remember choosing these leaves first because I thought they were so lovely.  And finally, I think that the white flowers are a variety of freesia (I'd love confirmation or correction on these too!).



No comments:

Post a Comment